Why did I create Sound Off the Ground? Because just a few years ago, when I was brand new to audio, I got a lot of help from other people in the industry. And now I’ve learned enough to help newbs like you get started.
Can’t Carry a Tune? No Problem!
Sound Off the Ground can help you.
Let’s get something out of the way right now. Can you:
- read music?
- play an instrument?
- sing on key?
- write music?
Not too long ago, I was where you are now.
I know how overwhelming it can feel when learning this stuff. And how many mistakes you make when learning. And how *@$#&! time-consuming it can be. Plus my wallet can tell you how tempting it is to spend money on apps and sound packs that you don’t really need.
That’s why I’m focusing on sound design for new podcasters.
In Sound Off the Ground, I’ll:
- save you time by sharing lessons I’ve learned through trial and error — I suffered so you don’t have to
- save you money by showing you free or cost-effective sound resources and how to use them creatively
- show you how to make your own simple music even if you know nothing about music (I swear!)
- share new sound-design tips and resources as I discover them along the way
And you’ll be able to:
- make your show sound great without spending gobs of money on sound design
- listen carefully to the sound design of other shows and borrow their ideas, putting your own, unique spin on them
- find free music, sound effects, and software, and use all of them in ways that fit your personality and show.
What do I mean by sound design?
When I say sound design, I mean the process of choosing, creating, altering, and arranging audio elements — like music and sound effects — to set the tone, create atmosphere, and enhance the story you’re trying to tell.
No matter which microphone or DAW (audio production software) you use, you will be able to use these principles, tips, and techniques. Therefore, I won’t be covering studio setup, which mic is best, or which DAW you should use. Those are all personal decisions.
So go grab a cuppa, and let’s get your sound off the ground. Subscribe here. It’s free and always will be.